Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mazie's Mission

Since I was a small child I've loved animals. I don't remember a time when we didn't have a family pet, or two or three. Dogs and cats mostly, and they were well loved and cared for. It always broke my heart to see neglected, abused or abandoned animals. I drove my parents crazy bringing home every stray I came upon, but I couldn't help myself. Like most animal lovers, it was my nature to want to help and make a difference. As a child I sent my allowance to save the wild mustangs, and did what I could for the strays. As an adult I'm hoping I can do more.

I dedicated my book, The Dogs of Central Park, to "those who give so selflessly of their time and efforts on behalf of the millions of helpless animals around the globe." In an effort to support these organizations I'm donating part of the proceeds of my book sales to them. (note that's sales through me directly, as opposed to the other retailers) In addition, I'd like to share some of their stories and promote their events.

My local (Frisco TX) favorite is Mazie's Mission, founded by Dr. Erin Shults. I met Erin through one of their first fund raising events, and I was immediately impressed by the dedication she and her volunteers pour into her vision.

On Dr. Shults;
Our founder and CEO Dr. Erin Shults quit private practice to devote all of her time and expertise to Mazie’s Mission. She graduated from Texas A&M Veterinary School in 1998. She founded Mazie’s Mission in the fall of 2009 with one goal in mind-become a driving force in animal welfare. Dr. Shults believes that every animal deserves to be treated with kindness and live without fear. She is also training in the field of Veterinary Forensics to aid prosecutors and law enforcement in animal neglect, cruelty, and dog fighting cases. She currently lives in Frisco, Texas with 2 cats and 2 dogs.



Dr. Erin Shults

Mazie's Mission video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGLl9DWyarA&feature=player_embedded
More on their mission here http://www.maziesmission.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment