Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Dogs of Central Park is off and running... much like the dogs themselves!

It's hard to believe it's been more than three years since the conception of my book, The Dogs of Central Park. After several months of research, seven trips to New York City over the course of nearly two years, and many months of deliberation with my editors at Rizzoli it is finally here! We enjoyed a rousing "soft launch" locally in the Dallas area, with book signings and fund raising events for local no-kill animal rescue organizations. Last week it was off to the Big Apple for our official book launch in Central Park. I was pleased to see at least forty six of my favorite dogs (most of whom are featured in the book) at this event! My dear friend Brandi, who was along on my autumn trips in 2008, went along to enjoy the celebration and managed to capture some lively images of the festivities. Here's just a few...
Remy, my cover dog, looking mighty pleased with herself.

My dogs and some of their peeps... in front is Tootsie (my self appointed wing-dog) and her owner Richard Freitas, Lily and friend, Chipper and Sienna, and Ayla. Back row is Dennis Buonagura of Central Park PAWS with his girls Hazel and Olive(sorry you girls got upstaged!), my agent Linda Langton with her sweet Princess, and me holding one of the most distinguished Dachshund's I've ever met, Ned.

This little superstar is Eli. He's quite the celeb, staring with his "Mom" Karen Biehl in a reality show called Doggie Moms. I did an entire fashion shoot with this little guy in Central Park. Luckily he's not a prima donna and was ok doing clothing changes in the park without a dressing room near by! I'm guessing Eli's wardrobe would put mine to shame!

You all may as well know now that I'm a blog rookie and have seriously resisted it, but give me some time. I'm sure it's only a matter of weeks before I become a blog junkie and you won't be able to shut me up! When this blog was started for me as a class project for a Rizzoli staff member I had no idea what I might share here. I had no idea what dogs would be in the book, nor it's eventual content (which is far different than what I had envisioned). I have hundreds of stories about these dogs and it was my intention to share a brief bit about each dog in my book. Some are funny, some endearing, and some that will tug at year heart. And sadly, there are many wonderful dogs who did not make the book for one reason or another that I'd love to share with you as well. The stories are just the beginning though. I'm about to em"bark" (couldn't help myself with that one!) on a whole new journey, and I have several other books, many about dogs, on my radar! In my next post I'm going to share a bit of my history so you'll know better where I'm coming from and a sneak peek of where I'm heading. In addition to these stories I hope to keep you updated on animal rescue efforts, interesting news, must see video clips, memorials for those who have left us, and who knows... on quiet "dog days" maybe a favorite recipe! Until then...

1 comment: